Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 1

Hello from Rio de Janeiro. It is currently 6:15 pm local time here. I arrived at the airport around noon local time, and the heat and humidity were immediately overwhelming. It was a great feeling, however. I'm now situated at my host home; I haven't unpacked yet, but I've been here for about 4 hours now. I'm staying in a neighborhood of Rio called Laranjeiras. Just driving through it seemed like a pretty nice area, but I haven't been out yet. I hope to maybe explore a little later. My host is Maria; she has a nice little apartment that I will post pictures of soon. She is very nice and friendly. She was actually born in Venezuela; her mother is Venezuelan and her father is Brazilian. She speaks Spanish too, which is helpful to me because I still know some Spanish and not any Portuguese yet. Communication is a bit awkward so far, but because of the Spanish we are at least able to communicate without a tremendous amount of difficulty. She speaks some English too, which is nice, and she's not bad at that either. I couldn't understand entirely, but I think Maria works in the film industry. She is a writer and a manager and I think she writes scripts, although I may not have understood. I think she said she works with actors and actresses. She also said she travels a lot. Maybe she'll invite me? She's great so far.

The trip to Rio was underwhelming. I made sure not to sit next to any Nigerians on either of the flights. My itinerary changed a bit, so I ended up with a 9 hour layover in Houston. I took a short excursion into downtown Houston to check it out and gave myself a self-walking tour, and by walking tour I mean walking aimlessly around Houston for about 2 hours. I visited the former location of Enron, which was exciting. It's now home to Chevron, and it's a pretty magnificent center downtown. That's about all that was exciting, though.

I don't know what I'm going to do for the rest of the night. I'd like to walk around the area a little, but it's almost dark and I'm not sure how good of an idea that is. Maybe I'll ask Maria to show me around, but I don't want to intrude. There haven't been any instructions or anything at all from the University, nor any advice.

As I write this I just got a roommate. I was kind of hoping I might, so it's a good thing. His name is Wesley. I guess it's good that I picked the room with the big bed. He speaks Portuguese, though. I hope Maria doesn't start playing favorites. It's good that I'll know someone who knows Portuguese that I can walk around with, but he'll probably make me feel stupid. I should probably go hang out with him.

Tomorrow there's an orientation for us at the University. I have no idea how I'll get there, however; Maria said it's 20 minutes away. That should be fun.

Well I'll go hang out with Wesley now. I hope you all are well.

4 comments:

  1. Well, I laughed out loud several times at your posting. Typical Jared. Sounds like you are adjusting well. Keep up the blogs; we'll look forward to them.

    Your wonderful experience has just begun!

    Love ya,
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jared (or Bared if you prefer)
    So happy to see you have posted. Glad you arrived safely and ready to embark on your great adventure. I am also happy to know that there will be another student staying with you. Especially one that speaks the language. Keep the posts coming. Will be excited to hear how you are doing. Your stay in Brazil will be a fabulous experience.
    Love,
    Sulie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jared,

    I had a few extra minutes during my luch break to check in, read your blog and respond back. I sure hope you make the best of the trip / experience, I really wish something like that happened when I was growing up.
    After reading up on the top places to travel, I sure was excited to hear someone I knew was on their way. I'm glad to hear you arrived safe and sound, I will continue to read and write back.
    Happy Bared n Jazil!!!!!
    GO VIKINGS, when you come back my team will have celebrated a Superbowl Victory!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Sounds like things are going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete