Friday, January 8, 2010

Hi

Hello again. I wanted to provide a few updates since a couple days ago. I have had two full days now here in Rio. They have been pretty long; the last two days I've needed to be at the University at 9, so I've gotten up at 7:30. Both times were pretty worthless, but it's ok. Yesterday we had orientation. First we went through the whole room of about 140 of us and introduced ourselves one by one. It took pretty long, but there are people from all over: France, Germany, Denmark, Mexico, as well as all over the U.S. After that they talked to us for about two hours or so, but I don't have much to report about that because I fell asleep for part of it and didn't pay much attention. I was pretty tired but they also gave us all the same information in a brochure. After lunch, the only other event at the University was the oral Portuguese placement test. That was a huge waste of time; only a few people went at a time, and everyone else waited in line in a very hot corridor. As I don't yet speak any Portuguese, taking the oral test to begin with was pointless. So I waited for over an hour in an extremely hot corridor to take a two minute test that was more of someone asking me questions while I stared blankly and said I don't speak Portuguese.

Finally when that was over, I tagged along with a group of people to get a cell phone. We found an electronics store in a mall to get them. That whole process took way longer than it should have too. We let the people with us who spoke some Portuguese do the talking for us, and I'm not sure what the issues were but we were in the store for a while and I just wanted to go the beach. It was getting into late afternoon at that point, so then we left and went to get some drinks.

I apologize that absolutely none of this has been exciting so far. The next part is a little more interesting. After leaving the restaurant we walked back to the University to catch a bus back home. The bus took a kind of circular route, and I was going to be the last one to get off. So everyone eventually got off but me, and the bus continued on. The bus came to Laranjeiras, which is the area I'm staying in, but it didn't look familiar to me. So I thought I would wait another stop or two until I thought I saw familiar. Well, before I knew it, the bus was off and on its way out of Laranjeiras and towards downtown Rio de Janeiro and beyond. So, I missed my stop. I rode the bus to the end, which luckily wasn't that long, and then got off, got right back on and rode back towards Laranjeiras. This time the bus assistant indicated where I should get off, and it was the place I didn't recognize the first time around. So, I got off the bus and I didn't know what to do. It's about 9 at this point, dark, and I don't speak Portuguese. So I can't ask anyone for directions. I just picked a direction to start walking, but that direction was pretty dark. So I turned around after about 30 seconds and started walking the other way towards lights. I don't know what direction I'm walking or where I'm walking towards; all I know is that I'm somewhere in Laranjeiras. I walk for probably 10 minutes or so, and I get to a highway along the beach in an area called Botafogo. So I walked the completely wrong way and out of Laranjeiras. I turned around again and started walking, not exactly where I came from, but down other streets back in the direction of Laranjeiras. My strategy was to just stick to lit roads and try to stay by other people and where there were crowds. I walk and explore for several minutes, but nothing is getting familiar. There were a lot of people out, and I just kept walking. I was pretty nervous about being alone, not speaking the language, and being lost, but I also didn't want to give any kind of impression of being nervous at all that anyone might be able to notice. I didn't want to stop and pull out a map so people knew I was lost. Basically I just kept walking pretty quickly so that it would appear that I knew what I was doing and where I was going. My mission was now twofold: trying to get home and now trying to find an ATM so I could pull out some money for a taxi. I didn't have enough Brazilian currency for a taxi right away; that's why this adventure ensued. I didn't think that finding an ATM would be a problem because when we walked around Laranjeiras the night before with Maria, there were ATMs/banks all over the place. But it took me about 20 minutes to find one, and it didn't accept my card. So I went looking for another, but it took me about another 20 or 30 minutes to find a bank with ATMs in the foyer, and this second one didn't accept my card either. Now I'm even more flustered, but finally after walking some more I found an HSBC which accepted my card, and I got some money. Then I just took a taxi home. I walked way far the wrong way, and we drove past much of what I had walked by. So, after first boarding a bus home at about 7:15 ish, I arrived home at about 10:15. While that paragraph probably didn't capture the excitement of the adventure, it was a pretty exhilirating first night in Rio.

I'll keep today short. The only official event on the agenda was a tour of the campus. But that turned out to be useless, because the tour guide decided that the only people on the tour were the seven people immediately in front of him and not all 40 of us in the group. So that was a waste of time too.

After the tour I went with some of the people the previous day back to phone store because there were problems with the phones. Again I stood idly by as one girl talked to the store representative in Portuguese, but I guess we eventually got it figured out. I'm able to use it if I choose now.

We walked back to the University again, where we boarded a bus and met with some other students on the program. We took the bus to Copacabana, where we ate lunch and then spent the rest of the afternoon on Copacabana beach. It was really great! It was very hot, but the water was warm and felt very nice. We were at the beach for 4-5 hours, and it was perfect. The four other people I was with all lived in Copacabana, so once we left the beach at about 6:30 I was on my own to get home again. I found a bus that went to Laranjeiras, and this time I actually got off there. But the place I got off was again unfamiliar. This time I had enough money though, so I knew if I had any problems I could just get a taxi. After walking in a circle, I found some kind of security guard and asked him directions to one of the few streets that I knew. I knew that I would have no idea what he was going to say, but I just wanted to him to point. Luckily, I got the point I was looking for, and I walked for several minutes (I was a bit far) and found my way home. Slowly but surely things will become familiar. I'm trying to orient myself based on where the big, famous statue of Jesus is, but that's hard because Jesus is often obscured by tall buildings. So I will learn streets and directions, and eventually everything will be great.

I haven't taken many pictures yet, because I am a bit concerned and paranoid about giving myself away as a tourist in a place like this. I don't want to just whip out my camera whenever I get the urge. I will post pictures tomorrow, and I also think I will have many more pictures tomorrow because we are taking an organized city tour, which I think will be for most of the day. I think it will be great, and I'm looking forward to it. It starts at 8am tomorrow, though, so I should go to bed as it is starting to get late here. Good night

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're adjusting well. I just got back from Israel yesterday and am trying to catch up on my sleep.
    We have to find some time to skype in the next couple of days.
    Aunt Sue tells me your roommate goes to Berkeley. I hope that has given you something to talk about.

    Love, Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi jared,
    Glad to hear from you as I always will be as your adventure continues. Please dont apologize for not being able to share any excitement. I think being lost in a foreign country while not knowing the language could be called exciting. Frightening might be another word one could use. I am sure your good sense of direction will help you eventually be able to navigate your way around very well. Although standing in a hot corridor does not sound like much fun spending time on the Copacabana Beach sound glorious. I am green with envy. Nothing much has changed around here except the an additional foot of snow.
    Keep writing and I will look forward to reading.
    Stay safe and have fun.
    Love,
    Sulie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you say "and that was totally pointless" at several points. Telling it like it is, typical Jared, it made me laugh out loud. Sounds like your in for an amazing experience.

    Have a great time,

    Mike Lapin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping the anonymos train moving.....

    The adventure is making a great read for my spare time, enjoying the story. The trip cannot all be exciting, I look forward to the next day you write.
    FYI- Take pictures, it will give us something to remember. In addition, you will forget most details over time, pictures help.
    I wanna see this amazing trip!!!!

    -Jim

    ReplyDelete